Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pencils, Kincade and Mice!

Have you ever had a total "oh duh!" moment? I had one of those in Michaels the other day when I was pricing their Koh-I-Noor woodless pencils and comparing them to the prices online. I have an old set that needs replacing plus a Prismacolor 72 pencil set I bought on ebay several years ago and have never gotten the "full effect" out of them since I can't use mineral spirits or gamsel with my asthma. While I was in that particular aisle, I saw Prismacolor's new "pencil accessory set" that contains their blender pencil, alcohol marker blender, eraser, pencil extender/extension, and some other do-hickey I've never seen before.

What really caught my eye was the alcohol marker blender. I use that to blend my Prismacolor markers!!! Well duh! You mean to tell me I could have been using that blender marker all this time with my pencils? After seeing that set, I got out of Michaels in record time to get home and try it out on a couple of images I had colored when my husband came home from the hospital after having surgery for a broken ankle.


The first image I tried blending was a House Mouse one from Stampendous, and it came out beautifully! Just like I do when I'm blending with my markers, I started with the lighter colors first, beginning in the middle and then working to the outside.

Once I was done blending everything, I then stippled Stampin Up soft sky ink lightly over everything to give a soft "satin" feel to the image and the card once I started assembling it. I made sure the embellishments used were small to match the "size" of the mouse.





Here's a close up of the card details:



After finishing with my House Mouse card, I began to wonder how this technique would look with a more detailed image so out came one of my Thomas Kincade images I had received in a swap. Now this image was a little bit of an unknown since it was stamped in Tim Holtz walnut distress ink so I wasn't sure if the ink would run when the pencils were blended. As you can see, the ink stayed put and everything blended great. In fact, I think this technique works great with Cornish Heritage Farms Thomas Kincade images. With the image below, I didn't color in the sky, but chose to stipple it instead with Stampin Up soft sky dye ink again.


And a close up of the card:



I'm really happy with the way these cards turned out and just wish I had discovered I could use my blender marker a whole lot sooner. Needless to say, I have a bunch of blender markers on order. :)

Stamps: Cornish Heritage Farms Thomas Kincade Church In The Woods, Stampendous House Mouse
Ink: Tim Holtz Walnut Distress Ink, Black, Stampin Up! Soft Sky
Accessories: Stipple Brush, Brads, Photo Corners, Ribbon Bow, Mini Glue Dots, Koh-I-Noor Woodless Pencils, Prismacolor Marker Blender
Cardstock: Mauve Mist, Celery, Soft Sky, White, Close To Cocoa, Going Grey, Garden Green

3 comments:

  1. Wow Bonnie! Look at how vibrant those colors are. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW BONNIE.... That Kinkade Card is TOOO DIE FOR!!!!! That bright vivid color makes me want to go get in touch with Nature and I am SO not a Nature kinda gal.... LOL

    GORGEOUS, and I am now following your blog.... LOL I figured out how to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete