Sunday, January 15, 2012

Working With Pencils - Friends of SpeedyTV 2012 Challenge #3


Hello and happy Monday.  Welcome to another Friends of SpeedyTV by Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company.  This week we are challenging you to work with your colored pencils.  Yes, that's right - put down those Copic markers, Prismacolor markers, Stampin Up! markers, or any other marker you're used to working with on a normal basis and dust off those pencils we all HAD to have at one point or another.  Since I had a hard time deciding on which images I was going to work with this week, I made two cards for my challenge inspiration.

My first card uses one of Mark's Finest Papers winter sets, however, I chose to turn it into a spring set instead.  Let talk you through it.  I stamped the winter set What A Fox in memento tuxedo black ink onto Mark's Finest Papers Snow Storm Smooth premium paper and pulled out my koh-i-noor pencils and prismacolor blender marker.  I chose various shades of blue for the stream since it wouldn't be frozen and I wanted to show some "depth" to the water and made sure to "pull" the water far into the distance.  Once my coloring of the water was done, I pulled out a couple of different browns for the trees; making sure to use the lightest brown for the smallest limbs so they would blend well with the green "leaf canopy" I would be making.  I used the lighter shades of green for the meadow grass and then all of the green pencils I had to make the "leaf canopy" making sure to bring the color down close to the meadow.  Once my coloring was done, I pulled out my stipple brushes and some Stampin Up and Tim Holtz inks and lightly stippled over the penciled coloring to "soften" and blend finish everything together.  I did the same for the stream using bashful blue ink.

Once the coloring of my meadow, stream and canopy was done, I turned my attention to the foxes I wanted to add to the scene.  I had also stamped two additional foxes to color, cut out and pop up for some added dimension when I was totally finished with the card.  Once all of the layering was done, I pulled out my Tim Holtz bark texture embossing folder and ran the card through my Big Shot as well as a border strip and add some mini pewter brads to hold that in place.  My final embellishments besides the popped up foxes was adding some Ranger Crystal Accents to the stream for added dimension there too, and some wonderful Mark's Finest Papers sheer ribbon.  Now isn't this a great way to get extra mileage out of a winter set that can be used for any occasion??

My second card is strictly for the boys.  I had wanted to use Mark's Finest Papers background set, Background Fun, but wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it until I was completely done with my fox card.  Taking the "weave" image from the background set, I stamped it on my card in artichoke ink (so it would look like the back of a pickup) before embossing it using the Tim Holtz bark texture embossing folder I still had out.  Once the card was stamped and embossed, I pulled out the Big Boy Toys stamp set and stamped the truck scene in memento tuxedo black on Snow Storm Smooth premium paper and also colored it with various koh-i-noor pencils and a prismacolor blender marker.  Once my coloring and layering were done, I pulled out my distressing tool and distressed the sides of the layers for a "rugged" look and then added some screw shaped designer brads for that "all boy feel".  Just before adhering the layered image, I last minute decided for a stamped border, so once again pulled out the background weave stamp, stamped the border in weathered wood ink and adhered it using the same designer brads before adding some silver sticker dots to the bottom right corner.

Using colored pencils can be a lot of fun.  So take a break from those markers and come join us in this week's challenge over at SpeedyTV.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great day.


Stamps:  MFP Big Boy Toys, Background Fun, What A Fox
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Pine Needles, Weathered Wood, Stampin Up! Artichoke, Bashful Blue, Garden Green, Wild Wasabi, Caramel
Card Stock: MFP Snow Storm Smooth Premium Paper, Deep Olive, Hurricane Gray,
Accessories: Koh-I-Noor Pencils, Prismacolor Blender Marker, Ribbon, Pop Dots, Tim Holtz Bark Texture Embossing Folder, Big Shot, Mini Pewter Brads, Stipple Brushes, Glue Dots, Metal Sticker Dots, SU Distressing Tool, Ranger Crystal Effects

1 comment: